p.blogger-labels { color:#ffd; font:68%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; }

10.1.07

ca. 2001
See kids? Just look what happens when you stop drawing. This is the sort of crap i used to start, work on for a year or two, then drop like a bad habit, back when i thought i'd be one of the great illustrators of our time. i guess i'm posting it here, more or less like everything else i put up, as an act of self-flagellation. Theoretically, public scrutiny of my flaws should force me to work harder and produce better work so that eventually we'll all be able to look back at these days and laugh, as at so many embarrassing haircuts. It's sad how little i've progressed in six years but i can still make the next six productive. Right? Right.
And don't ask me what the heck is happening with the chair --i don't know!



Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

I like this drawing (even with the wacky chair). It is better than you think.

3:34 PM EST  
Blogger KenM said...

Hmmm, gotta say, there's some pretty cool stuff going on in this drawing, B. I really like how dynamically Edgar is positioned, for one. Personally, I think you were onto something here. I like the flavor of it a lot.

4:30 PM EST  
Blogger Craig D said...

Wow - I was going to post much of what's already been said.

Reminds me of when I'd start drawing something and then get exhausted by it or just loose interest in it or just sort of, you know, like, peter out.

(I like the crown moldings!!!)

4:39 PM EST  
Blogger KenM said...

"(I like the crown moldings!!!)"

Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing.

9:44 AM EST  
Blogger Bardouble29 said...

wow, you make me feel guilty! I used to draw and write and I dropped both. I am (kind of) writing again with this blog, but I have never picked the drawing back up...

11:41 AM EST  
Blogger bardhol said...

Yeah, one of the things this blog is supposed to be about is how i went from never wanting to draw again to hopefully, making a career out of art somehow. It wasn't immediate, but doors are opening up! If you keep writing you may be surprised at what comes your way.

2:38 AM EST  
Blogger bardhol said...

Thanks for all the bon mots, it is really encouraging to get these remarks. i like this drawing, too. One of the reasons for not completing it was that it required so much knowledge: of composition, shading and contrasts, perspective, anatomy and sweetness knows what else -- of which i know a little about each, but not a lot about any of them. i was and am what Jim Capobianco dubbed an "inspired amateur". :..( i don't know if i can finally succeed. But i do know one thing: Nothing turns a house into a home like crown molding!

2:58 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home